The Halifax Examiner is looking for an education reporter. This is a full-time contract position from February 15 to May 15, 2015. If this short term contract works out, it might be renewed in the fall.
Duties will include:
• focusing primarily on Halifax-area universities, campus issues, union and administrative politics, campus events, etc.; but possibly also other education-related issues;
• generating story ideas and following through with them;
• writing three to five articles a week, including providing photos.
The ideal candidate will:
• be familiar with the Halifax Examiner, and be able to tackle difficult issues and write provocative copy;
• understand the lay of the land in terms of local universities and be able to hit the ground running;
• be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision to generate story ideas;
• have time flexibility;
• have access to basic computer and camera equipment, and the internet;
• be able to travel to campuses when needed;
• be able to work with an editor to for assignments and through the rewrite and publication process.
Pay is dependant upon experience.
To apply for this position send a cover letter, resume, three published articles, and three story ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 5.